Liposuction is a safe and effective way to remove excess fat cells from the body, and it is a minimally invasive procedure that generally only requires local anesthesia. The most effective treatment to remove a double chin is a combination of methods to remove the excess fat and tighten the skin around the neck to create a more defined chin.
Typically, the most common areas for liposuction include the abdomen, upper arms, chin, and neck. The chin and neck areas are where most people have loose skin and fatty tissue, and they are the most common liposuction procedures performed today.
If you have always wanted to remove the excess fat and loose skin in your chin and neck area, call the professional team at Salas Plastic Surgery at 305-615-7232 today to schedule a consultation.
What Is Submental Liposuction?
Chin liposuction, also known as submental liposuction, removes localized fat cells around the neck and jawline. This process improves the contour of the neck, giving patients a more defined jawline and youthful appearance.
There are several different procedures for correcting a double chin, including:
- Chin liposuction: Removing excess fat from underneath the chin.
- Submentoplasty: Combines liposuction with small incisions in the neck and chin to tighten the muscles.
- Neck lift: Invasive surgery, also known as a lower rhytidectomy, removes excess skin and tightens the neck skin muscles for a more contoured look.
- Kybella: An injection that dissolves subcutaneous fat using deoxycholic acid and requires multiple treatments. This procedure is approved by the FDA.
- Laser: Laser chin liposuction, or laser lipolysis, removes fatty tissues with a laser and is a safe and effective procedure with minimal side effects.
Submental liposuction can help improve your facial features with minimal downtime compared to reconstructive surgery. Facial liposuction is not skin tightening. Depending on your desired look, your plastic surgeon will recommend the appropriate procedure to give you the results you want.
Who is the Ideal Candidate for Chin Liposuction?
The ideal candidate for chin liposuction is anyone who wants to remove excess fat or loose skin under their chin. People between the ages of 20 and 50 with healthy, elastic skin will have the best results from their chin liposuction procedure. Since each person’s skin elasticity is unique, results and recovery time will vary.
How is Neck and Chin Liposuction Done?
After applying a local anesthetic such as lidocaine, the surgeon will make small incisions underneath the chin. A small tube known as a cannula is inserted under the skin. Fat deposits are removed under the chin and neck area using suction and a back-and-forth motion.
If your facial plastic surgeon recommends a neck lift, general anesthesia is required as it is a more invasive surgery.
What to Expect During Treatment
The process for chin liposuction is relatively simple. A plastic surgeon will examine you and discuss your ideas to determine the best procedure for you. Most chin liposuction procedures take about 30 minutes and are performed at the surgeon’s office and not in a hospital.
- After examining your chin and neck, the surgeon will mark the insertion points of the cannula tubes.
- The area is thoroughly cleaned with an antiseptic solution to reduce infection.
- A local anesthetic is applied along with any other sedation medication, if necessary.
- The surgeon will make incisions to insert the cannula tube and begin removing fat deposits.
- The fat removal process includes a back-and-forth fanning motion to produce a smooth, even facial profile.
- After the procedure is complete, bandages cover the incisions, and you will need to wear a chin strap to support your chin during the healing process.
Scarring is minimal as the incisions are only 1-2 centimeters long and are under the chin, behind the ear, or above the hairline.
Recovery and Aftercare for Chin Liposuction
Since chin lipo is minimally invasive, your downtime will only last a few days, with most patients returning to work within 1-2 weeks. Side effects may include:
- Loss of facial sensitivity
- Pigmentation changes
Your doctor may prescribe medications to help relieve pain and inflammation during your healing process. You will need to wear a compression garment such as a chin strap full time for 24-72 hours after the procedure and at night for up to 7-10 days after your procedure. You should wear the chin strap while sleeping for several months for the best results.
Recovery time is quick, with most people returning to work within 1-2 weeks. If you smoke, you should stop smoking 4-6 weeks before the procedure and four weeks after.
Results You Can Expect After the Procedure
After your procedure, you can expect to return to normal activities much quicker than with more invasive procedures. It will take time for your body to heal, and every person’s healing process is different, and it can take 1-3 months before you see the final results.
Some damage may occur to the blood vessels just underneath the layer of skin and can cause scarring, lumpiness, and discoloration. Other complications that can arise may include:
- Excessive bleeding or bruising
- Pulmonary complications
- Skin infection
- Fat embolism
- Excess fluid accumulation
- Nerve damage
Typically, a facelift can last up to ten years. Your age and health will play a part in how long the effects last, and with proper skincare, you can enjoy the results of your chin liposuction for much longer. Your plastic surgeon will discuss all options and risks involved.
Schedule Your Submental Liposuction Consultation
If you are not happy with the way, your chin and neck look, schedule a submental liposuction consultation today with the experienced team at Salas Plastic Surgery. We’re a luxury boutique plastic surgery private practice in Miami that tailors surgical and non-invasive treatment for every patient.
Dr. Salas is a board-certified plastic surgeon and a member of the prestigious American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Call 305-615-7232 today to schedule a consultation, or click here to email us about your chin liposuction procedure.